Thursday, June 18, 2009

Stepables




I found a great line of groundcover plants that are marketed under the name Stepables. Click on their name to link to their website, which is very well done.

The picture on the top left is 'County Park' Pratia pedunculata. Ht: 3" Care: Part sun to sun, plenty of water, fast growth rate, tolerates heavy foot traffic, hardy above 0 degrees. This plant forms a tight root system, so I planted it on a slope to help hold the soil in place by my fire pit. You can see the two starter plants I put in a few weeks ago. It is a zone 7 and above plant (we are zone 5), but I'm hoping it will survive our winters since we don't often get below 0. I may cover it in the fall to protect it. The purple flowers bloom spring to fall, so it's a very pretty, little groundcover.


The picture on the top right is Creeping Wire Vine Muehlenbeckia axillaris. Ht: 2" Care: part shade to sun, will tolerate drought, wind, and poor soil and grows better under drier conditions, moderate growth rate, tolerates heavy foot traffic, hardy above -10 degrees F. This plant has dark green leaves on wiry stems and grows tiny transparent berries that have a black seed in the center. The foliage turns bronze in heat or cold. I planted this one in between a big blue spruce and a lilac bush in a corner of my garden that I often forget to water. I hope it thrives there because it's really an interesting plant.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ground cover you have pictured on the top left, I planted that next to my parents driveway last year. It does grow fast, and it looks good. The area we planted it in is about 4' wide x 20' long. The ground cover has already filled in (in just a year) 3' of the area across and all the area lengthwise. I was surprised at how fast it filled in. I really like it too, the flowers are very cute. You made a good choice.

- min

PS - I am a great SFG fan. I love my square foot gardens!