Monday, June 8, 2009

Container Garden 1

Last fall I picked up four large pots at Wal-Mart when they put all their outdoor things on sale. I got most of them for $3, regulary $20+. In May, my friend Kelli showed me what elements go into a potted container and helped me pick out plants for my first attempt. I am very happy with the result. Here are the plants in this container:

The center "spike" is False Draceana 'Red Sensation' Cordyline australis. Ht: 18-48" Care: Moist, organic soil and sun; best with a monthly balanced fertilizer; will tolerate part shade.

The bright green leaves in the back are Sweet Potato Vine 'Terrace Lime' Ipomoea batatas. Love their color! Ht: 6" Care: Organic soil; allow soil to dry between waterings; fertilize regularly; full sun.

The small, deep pink flowers are Tukana Raspberry Verbena. It is a trailing plant. Ht: "4-8" Care: Normal amount of water, fertilize regularly, full sun; heat tolerant and requires no deadheading.

The pale pink flowers are Ruffle Light Lavender Imp. Trailing Double Petunia. The double petals make this flower very frilly and feminine, and they are quite large. No height is given on the tag, but I expect they will fill in rather high. Care: Partial sun, fertilize every two weeks, high water needs.

The white-edged trailing leaves in front are Mezoo Trailing Red Dorotheanthus. I loved this plant the moment I saw it. The leaves are thick and I love their coloring. I was pleasantly surprised when some small, raspberry-colored flowers peeked out--they kind of look like tiny daisies. (You can see them if you enlarge the picture.) Ht: 6-8" Care: Full sun to full shade; drought and heat tolerant; use slow-release fertilizer in the soil or feed regularly with a liquid fertilizer. This plant will make another appearance in my front shade bed next year!

These plants seem to like the spot by the brick chimney. They get part shade during the day, but the heat of the bricks keeps them warm into the evening. I can't wait to see how it all fills in. This picture shows the container two weeks after planting.


This picture taken at sunset in August shows the container at almost its fullest. It is beautiful! I love the pale pink double petunias and the Mezoo. It's dark pink flowers closed and opened sporadically all summer. I plan to repeat this container arrangement in the future.

0 comments: