Monday, September 12, 2011

Progressive Spring Bulbs

Last fall I planted a couple thousand bulbs in my front yard perennial flower beds. This past spring was the first season for them to show their stuff, and I recorded the show in a series of photos taken every few days. Toward the end of the movie clips, the spacing was every week or two, because the allium just hung around forever.

Allium are more impressive in person. They remind me of purple fireworks in the garden...and I wish I'd thought to take a close-up photo when they were still purple! I've even discovered a fun, permanent use for them in my home decor! (I'll send a link when I've finished redecorating my bedroom.)

I bought all the bulbs online from a company called Colorblends. I highly recommend them if you want an impressive bulb bed. Their prices are great and the flowers are stunning. See for yourself in these little films. (Each clip is less than two minutes long.)





Pretty nice, eh? And I didn't even plant the real stunners. All of these bulbs are perennial, meaning they will return each year, and some of the bulbs will even reproduce. Each year the bulbs and non-bulb perennials will fill in a little more. I'm already looking forward to an improved show in years to come!

0 comments: