Sunday, September 6, 2009

Corn

This is my first year growing corn. It is absolutely fantastic to me that in two months a small kernel grows into an eight-foot-tall plant producing corn on the cob whenever we want it. I roasted some in our fire pit. Yummy!

I have 12 plants in a 2'x4' section of this planter box, which has only 6" of soil depth. With the plants so close together, they have pollinated each other just fine. I haven't counted how many ears I've harvested, so I'll track that next year.

I don't know if I'm waiting too long to harvest, but this corn hasn't been particularly sweet.

In July, we had a few nights of windstorms. After the first night, several stalks were bent over to the ground. I grabbed my daughter's nylon jump rope, wrapped it once around the corn (not too tight or too loose), and secured the ends to my chain link fence. The wind didn't flatten the corn after that. The yellow line in the picture is the jump rope.

The problem I'm having now is aphids. I spray them off with the hose, but they seem to multiply anyway. I'll probably harvest the rest of the corn, pull out the stalks, and let them dry to use as a Fall decoration for my front porch.

0 comments: